The Great Disappearing Act: Bone Marrow Receiver Cured of Allergy

Not only can bone marrow transplants be life-saving for children with acute lymphocytic leukemia, they may also cure peanut allergies. According to research presented during the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology’s (ACAAI) Annual Scientific Meeting, a 10-year-old boy no longer had a peanut allergy after undergoing a bone marrow transplant.

“It has been reported that bone marrow and liver transplants can transfer peanut allergy from donor to recipient,” said allergist Yong Luo, MD, PhD, ACAAI member and lead study author. “But our research found a rare case in which a transplant seems to have cured the recipient of their allergy.”

At 15 months of age, researchers noted the child had been diagnosed with a peanut allergy after experiencing whole body hives and vomiting following peanut ingestion. At age 10, he underwent a bone marrow transplant for leukemia, from a donor with no known allergies. Soon after, the child seemed to no longer have an allergy to peanuts. Allergists confirmed with an oral food challenge where the child ate a small amount of peanut and showed no allergic reaction.

“Food allergy is associated with the body’s abnormal production of high specific IgE levels,” said Steven Weiss, MD, PhD, ACAAI fellow and study author. “This case, in addition to the previous reports, indicates that genetic modification during the early stages of immune cell development in bone marrow may play a large role in causing allergy.

“Food allergies are serious and can cause a severe, life-threatening reaction known as anaphylaxis,” added Weiss. “It’s important to be under the regular care of an allergist who can perform proper tests and administer treatment.”

Source: American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

ADVERTORIAL